Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Consulate Appointment and Lily

Today is our Consulate Appointment (CA). This is the day that the whole trip was planned around. We don't actually go to this appointment. Our guide takes the paperwork for our group to the consulate. We have to stay in our rooms from 10:30 to 11:30 in case of questions, and then we are free to go.

Today was the best day with Lily! She is really coming out of her shell! She woke up happy again, and since we didn't have any plans this morning, we could just take our time getting ready. After breakfast we hung out in our room and played. Not only is Lily interacting more with us, she's interacting more with the stuff in the room. In the beginning, she wouldn't touch or play with anything. Then after a while, she started picking things up, but if she saw us looking at her, she would put the item down quickly. Now she's actually starting to play. When I was on the computer, she stood by me at the food table and took all the little containers of jelly and stacked and rearranged them over and over again. I know it doesn't sound like much, but she used to just stand and watch me. She also ventures away from me more to see what else is going on in the room.

Of course Alex still gets the biggest smiles and laughs. We think she has a crush on him! She will go up and touch his arm and then laugh and run away. It's just so cute! In the past, I had only gotten little partial smiles, but that changed today. When we were able to leave the room and go for a walk, I got down low and held out my arms. Lily got a big smile and came running towards me! It just melted her Mommy's heart!! She's even better with Daddy today. At the bank I said, "where's baba?" Lily actually turned and looked at him. In the past she would just ignore the questions. She's also started to accept his kisses.

She was just so playful and happy today. It's so fun to watch the "real" Lily blossom!

Today we finally had time to check out the pool. It's on the roof, and the area is a lot smaller than I expected. The pool takes up the almost the whole space. We promised the kids a swim later in the day if everyone behaved. We are not above bribery! After a walk, shopping to buy squeaky shoes, and an ice cream treat, it was time for a swim. The water felt great and the boys really enjoyed it. There's a small pool next to the main pool. I wouldn't really call it a baby pool, since it only has about 2 inches of water in it, but that's where I sat with Lily. I wasn't sure what she would think since she hates the shower so much. She actually did ok. Seemed a little nervous at first, but didn't cry. I took her in the big pool and she was ok as long as I was holding her tight. I soon as I tried to hold her out a little, she whimpered and clutched at my neck. We did get her laughing watching Alex's antics! After the big pool, she walked around the area while the boys played, and then she went over to the little pool and sat down. By the time we were ready to leave, she was actually splashing her legs with water!

After our swim, we went to dinner at a well know Thai Restaurant, "The Cow and Bridge". The food was only ok. I actually preferred the hamburgers and stir fry at Lucys. I really miss our Chinese restaurant in Nanchang. They did have really good french fries though that kept the kids happy. I hope they realize they won't be getting french fries every night for dinner once we get home!
(This is the second post today.........scroll down to see our trip to the Safari Park)


My funny little boy!
View from the rooftop pool


Walk around the island. We've seen a lot of new landscaping on the island. Everything is being updated for the Asian Games that take place in Guangzhou in November.
Pretty apartment building
Michael relaxing with his ice cream
Oh Mom..........not more pictures!
Ready, set, jump!
In the pool for the first time
Laughing at her brother
Tyler and Lily sharing a moment

Check out this dive!
Get back from that rail !!! (I said that a lot today!)
You too little girl..........don't scare your Mommy!
See the red roofs on the apartment buildings? They're being added purely for aesthetics for the upcoming Asian Games. They do look good, but for the people in these building the rooftops terraces were another living space. They used them for gardens, sitting areas, and even to sleep on when it was too hot inside. They are now losing that space. Many people wonder if the games will bring in as much money as hoped since the Olympics were in China just 2 years ago. The comment we heard was "why attend the little sister games, when you've already seen the big brother games".

I think she's ready to go!
Our hotel at night.
Alex and Lily ready for bed

1 comment:

  1. Such fun you all had today! Sorry the Cow Bridge wasn't too good. When we went, our two dishes were pretty good.

    ourlittleleslie.blogspot.com

    Elise

    ReplyDelete